Thursday 26 March 2015

Please don't make me attempt another speech

As I tweeted earlier today, I'm glad I was judged on my writing ability, and not my impromptu speech skills. Today I was surprised with the honour of winning an Eric and Jack Wells Foundation award for journalism excellence.

Upon accepting the award, I gave a shaky and unanticipated speech as I choked down tears of excitement and nervousness.
This spring's Eric and Jack Wells Foundation award winners;
Scott Billeck, myself, Ashley Field, and Eva Wasney (photo
courtesy of James Turner)

The gist of it is I shocked myself. I've never been fully confident in my writing. I started working as a reporter and built up some self-esteem to make up for the lack of confidence in myself. But then, I started the Creative Communications program at Red River College.

I thought I had a leg-up on my classmates with my previous work experience. But shortly after I got my first mark back on a journalism assignment (which was a lot lower than I had hoped for), I was back at square one. My overconfidence was shadowed by a newly rediscovered doubt in myself.

My instructors kicked my butt, and still do. They challenge me to work harder, dig deeper, and be more creative. They constantly thump me over the head with The Canadian Press Stylebook and grammar books. They have no problem putting me in my place when I am in my sass mode. I love them, and I'm so grateful for all they've taught me and all they will teach me in the future.

I was genuinely surprised when my journalism instructor James Turner announced to the hall that the judges had selected me as a winner of the award. My fellow classmates are also incredibly talented and deserving of it. They are beautiful people and amazing writers and I hope they know it.

I am just so grateful, honoured and humbled.

The following is my entry for the award.


No comments:

Post a Comment