Wednesday 17 September 2014

Can Canadians even pinch pennies?

I have a few pennies in my wallet. They are, in fact, American coins.

They are still useful. Kind of.

I grew up in a community where finding a dress that was as "cheap as borscht" was celebrated. I spent many Tuesdays after school at the MCC Thrift Shop in Winkler looking for the most worn-in wolf shirt I could find (they put the new stuff out on Tuesdays).

I grew out of my wolf shirt hipster phase...but the thick-framed glasses seemed to stick, and so did the thrifting.

(I'd also like to note, my style is now impeccable in comparison to how it was in high school.)

Now... (featuring Eugene the cat)
...and then (thank the Lord for fashion discernment
and making me the beauty I am today)

It came to my attention this week that not everyone has had the pleasure of living such a frugal life. I'm here to help these underprivileged, deprived souls by showing them a world of treasures. A world of framed cat paintings and fake plants; of instant film Polaroid cameras (which you can still get film for, by the way, but for a price) and grandpa sweaters; of wine bottle holders (that won't be used as wine bottle holders) and funny hats.

To date, this is still my favourite sweater and
the jeans have since become my most worn cut-off shorts

Yes, you too can own all this and more!

In all seriousness, this blog is about trying to live cheaply in a very expensive world. I love shopping and I love stuff. It's a poison. I'm a borderline hoarder. I shop at thrift and antique stores, participate in clothing swaps, and always beeline for the back of a store to find deals. Getting something for cheap, or for free, is like riding a convertible with the top down into the sunset on a warm summer night (although last time this happened, it was with an ex-boyfriend who dumped me shortly after so maybe I should come up with a better simile). I also have an addiction to buying old cameras (not just Polaroids) and shooting with film - a pricey, but timeless art. It reminds me of my childhood and Beaver Canoe sweatshirts. Expect some of my film photos to make it onto this blog as well (yes, most of those cameras were thrifted).

My bookshelf, featuring two of my many secondhand toys
If you're looking for money-saving tips in regards to food, you'll have to venture somewhere else. Or watch Extreme Couponing. I live off ramen noodles. I'm a student, can you blame me? Posts on this blog will focus on clothing and decor, and the success (and misadventures) in finding both. I'll be talking about how to integrate that ugly pair of shoes from the "old country" into a modern wardrobe, where to find the best deals, and what not to buy. I also plan to introduce you to some of my thrifty and not-so-thrifty friends.

Keep those Canadian and American pennies. We'll spend them together.


3 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the scoop on where to get my next jean shorts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can borrow mine. High-waisted does wonders for the booty.

      Delete
  2. Uhhhh that cats name is Doug.

    ReplyDelete