Friday 23 January 2015

The pressure's on: how I picked my major



Today was the deadline for me to drop a standard sheet of paper in a box. A piece of paper that determines which direction my career goes.

Today is major declaration day.

When I first applied to the Creative Communications (CreComm) program in 2010, I was absolutely sure I would be majoring in media production. I was going to be the next super-cool semi-celebrity radio jock and it was going to be AWESOME.

And then things changed.

I made an out-of-nowhere switch from the on-air department to the newsroom at the radio station I had worked at since 2008. I was thrown into the role as reporter and news anchor before I hit age 20. Then, before 21, I took on that same role at arguably the biggest radio station in the province. The bouncing around forced me to grow up pretty quickly.

Sidenote - this is a long story put into three sentences, so if you'd like more context we can chat another time

I love the fast-paced environment. I love never being bored. I love telling stories. I love hearing stories. I love meeting people. I love finding the truth.

When I started CreComm this past September, I didn't know what I was going to major in. Some coworkers and CreComm grads told me that majoring in journalism would be pointless because I knew everything I would be taught (they suggested I major in public relations). I hate to put them down, but they were so wrong.

I had always been told my writing was phenomenal. I received As on all my essays in university. I took pride in my wide vocabulary.

And then I got my first D — on a journalism assignment.

I lost it. I was angry. I thought it was a mistake. It must have been; after all, I was a seasoned professional.

But then as I continued to receive what I thought were crappy marks (they weren't - for CreComm at least), I realized I was dumb. I was naive. I had no freakin' clue. I still have no idea what I'm doing.

Which brings me to this:


I will be majoring in journalism. I'd love to say it was a difficult decision, but it was a no-brainer (how many clichés can I put in one blog post?). I can't wait to learn. Journalism aligns with all the things I love to do and hope to be one day. While it was an easy choice to make, it is scary. Of course there's the competitive job market, my naivety and lack of skill, and the apparent not-so-good salaries. In the end, those things don't matter. I want to pick the path that will make me a better person and will give me drive and motivation to reach my highest possible potential.

3 comments:

  1. I'm right there with ya Bailey. Next year J is going to be greaattttt (Tony Tiger stylez)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Journalism major IS CreComm. Good choice.

    ReplyDelete