Thursday 30 October 2014

I've made a huge mistake


It's been a week. The guilt is still overwhelming. I feel like I've disappointed everyone close to me.

I bought new clothes.

No not "new" clothes. NEW clothes. From a store that doesn't sell second-hand items.

It was an accident. I didn't intend for it to happen. But when I saw the flashy blue Marshall's logo, my car simply veered into the parking lot and my feet floated me through the doorway. Before I knew it, I had tried on a number of items and was headed toward the checkout with two of them - a sweater and a blouse.

But that was simply not enough. I needed to accessorize. I dragged my boyfriend to ALDO Accessories where they were having a two for one deal on jewelry. So I bought two necklaces.

Both necklaces perfectly complimented my two new sweaters. Matches made in heaven.

Such glitz, so glamour, much wow
Now, I'm pining. As much as I adore the four new pieces I spent about $75 on, I am overwhelmed with guilt. Guilt over the fact I didn't have self-control. There is shame tied to my materialistic addiction. The new, never-before-worn clothes gave me a sense of confidence the first time I wore them.

As awful as I feel for spending the amount of money I did on these new wardrobe pieces (which likely would have cost a third of the price at a thrift store) I know that sometimes I need to treat myself. I'm working to get over my guilt and realize that I deserve this. I've been working hard lately and I think I deserve a little pick-me-up.

And I mean, if people didn't buy new clothes there wouldn't be anything used to buy in thrift stores, right? I'll be doing my duty when I feel the need to part with these by donating them.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you realize you deserve a treat sometimes. It's a concept I struggle with too. Can't wait to see you model the new sweaters though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might also feel better if you can justify these purchases as wear-to-a-job-interview-or-other-professionally-helpful-activity wardrobe. :)

    ReplyDelete