Friday 28 November 2014

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

It's ugly sweater season!

I'm thrilled it's here. As soon as the temperature dropped below five degrees, I pulled the Rubbermaid tote with my winter clothes out of our storage closet. In it - my thick, heavy, and frankly, ugly sweaters.

I've been collecting these beasts for years. It's like wearing a warm hug all day long. They just don't make sweaters as thick, warm, and durable as they used to, which is why I turn to thrift stores for all my winter warmth needs. As frumpy as I look, I'm warm and cozy and there's nothing I'd rather be wearing when drinking hot chocolate or studying for hours on end. I probably looked like a train wreck at school most of this week, as my outfits of choice mostly included an oversized ugly sweater.

How I feel when I wear one of my many ugly sweaters - even though Carlton isn't wearing one in this scene...

I have a growing fear that the ugly sweater is going out of style (not that it was REALLY stylish...). It was a must-have for wannabe hipsters in recent years, but as I look around me at school ugly sweaters are a rare sight. Maybe it's just my change in location from the University of Winnipeg to Red River College (no offence...really).

That leads me to ugly Christmas sweaters. If you don't wear them over the holidays, you should start. There's nothing more whimsical, timeless, or nostalgic than an ugly Christmas sweater to make you feel like you're living A Christmas Story (need a bunny onesie or Daisy Red Ryder Range Model 1938 Air Rifle BB gun for that special person on your list?). Also - host an ugly Christmas sweater party, and award the person with the prettiest (or ugliest) sweater a prize. It makes for good laughs and good fun.

Have a favourite sweater that's a little "out there"? Let me know in the comments and maybe send me a picture so we can swoon over your wonderful (or terrible) fashion sense and be frumpy together.

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen Jordan's in Section 2? It's incredible. Also. Last day of school, I'll be packin my ugly christmas sweater. It's a true winner.

    ReplyDelete